Weak double ringwork.
This hill fort is on the summit of Mynydd Ystum. Abedaron at 497 o/s Described as a large double banked hill fort & probably a settlement The site was excavated in 1929 by Breese but the dig was inconclusive and in retrospect is considered a rather poor excavation. the excavations by Breese of a bisected trench showed a large rectangular structure and a smaller sub rectangular structure And revealed small depressions suggesting hut floors, 8 hut circles about 24 ft in diameter were identified but huts 9-A were unnoticed at this time,Hut no S was excavated.Pottery was a black burnt ware style and was difficult to date as it appeared to an unknown type but was tentatively dated 5th 6 th cent BC this dating was unresolved for 10 years
Leslie Alcock conducted a dig in 1958/59 to try and resolve some of the enigmatic dating sequences. There now appears to have been 5 phases of development /occupation .
Phase 1a Iron age A: an undefended village of WOODEN Houses with turf or thatch walls and roof.pottery was a black burnt ware style but no associated artefacts found although a possible hearth in Hut A.
Phase Ib: had a partially completed palisade this was subsequently burnt down and a wide spread of ash & charcoal is present on the site. Timber was not a natural material in the area and its use suggests a possible invasion by people outside the AREA. Evidence of a drain 1 foot deep and 8/9" wide covered with a slab.Thick coarse coil wound Pottery with thumbed base and rim contemporary with the Shetlands earliest known Celitc settlement in north Wales (Halstat type )
Phase 11: Appears to be re occupied after after a short abandonment the banks Il were constructed 8-10 ft wide 5 ft high and were of a poor quality "dump" the Huts are now of stone circles.
Phase Ill: Bank I built including stone revetments and revetments were added to Bank II.along with boundary walls /enclosures. There was a single post hole gate with an entrance 8 ft wide,suggestinq that the intervalum was used as a coral.
A cobbled road led to the centre. No associated pottery found but 1 saddle quern.
Phase IV : Late 1st cent A.D shows reduction of the bank and removal of all large stones suggesting demilitarization (Romans). A buried saddle quern.
Phase V: The rectangular constructions now appear to be a medieval / Norman warren. Quantities of bitumen present on the site may be residue from beacon bonfires.